Sunday, June 27, 2010

"You're gonna get FAT" *giggle*

Good morning nonexistent readers of my blog.. ;) I feel fabulous today. Picked up the kids yesterday and they are happy about the impending addition to the family, Oliver was worried they might not be happy but I'm super glad he was wrong. Jake is 5 and spoiled and he's pretty much "whatever." Hanna has been constantly wondering if it will be a girl and how she can help teach the baby to talk.. kinda makes me weepy with happiness...I'm really hoping for a girl.. but its 50/50 and I'm just glad to have this experience. I'm not the nervous first time pregnant mama. I love that I have discovered how to take charge of my own health and how I've traversed the road of nutrition in discovering a raw/vegan lifestyle. I am not 100%raw and I've slipped the last 6 months but I am 100% vegetarian and there is NO threat to that.

My family was surprised I am continuing "this way" of eating now that I'm pregnant. My sister looked on the verge of calling Child Protective Services for saying that the baby WILL be 100%vegan from the get go and high raw from there. Jake is harder not to control but to help educate about health. He has so many conflicting family members. Between time with his dad and other family and MY family.. they feel meat (and doughnuts, chips, candy,pop) is important. He continues to turn meat down at every offer and he does not seem unhappy about it. In fact, he seems to have a healthy confidence about his food choices. When he is with me, he eats loads of fresh fruits and veggies. Sometimes he's not so happy about the veggie part but its important he is exposed to a variety of raw foods. I wish I could impose a high raw vegan lifestyle on Hanna, Ollie and Jake but because their other family counteracts that to the point of FORCING them to eat meat. Hanna told me the other day she wanted to eat less meat but her mom forced her to eat all the meat on her dinner plate. I let them choose when they are with us.. for example we all went out to Pho a while back. We all had tofu (Jake and Hanna included) and Ollie chose beef. I don't tell them what they have to eat but I'm hoping through modeling and explaining why Dad and I have made these choices, they will be able to make their own INFORMED decisions regarding food.

I don't even want to get started on what their school serves and how that will be a pain in my ass and then we have their peers and their influence. Yikes. It will take some tricky navigation, explaining and PATIENCE. :)


So I told the kids I would make them lunch in 15 minutes after I'm done ranting on here and Ollie and Hanna both asked specifically for a green smoothie. I must be doing something right.

I didn't exercise the last two days and I feel like a blob but I'm going to take a very long walk and then do some yoga later. Friday was a not good day for eating. I was at my parents house ALL day long. I had a bag of microwave popcorn, a bagel (no milk or animal products) with fresh strawberry jam and a lil pb. My mom made mashed potatoes and meatloaf for dinner. It made me very queasy to smell.

I opted for mom to give me a couple boiled potatoes before she mashed it with milk and sourcream. Jake had it mashed but passed up the meatloaf. I had a cup of lima beans with it but I didn't know she used margarine in it until after. Then we all went for a walk and went down to the local produce shop. I got fresh cherries, an avocado and kettle chips (salt and vinegar).


Today I've had:

Breakfast: 1 qt of kale, celery, carrot and green apple juice

Lunch: Couple pieces for firm tofu, half an avocado and my vegan broccoli slaw

No comments:

Post a Comment