Saturday, July 3, 2010

Breathing and letting go of things I can not change....

I do not have the ability to change people's minds. Pure and simple. My mother's outlook on "health" is a closed door. There will be no information flowing in that doesn't suit her need for cheese, meat, bread, candy, Pepsi and cigarettes. I went over to their house yesterday morning as I let Jacob spend the night. She was serving herself a HUGE serving of rice smothered in gravy with a big porkchop. I just made a funny face but reserved my comments to myself as it gets me nowhere (but partial insanity). I was super hungry and opted for a bowl of plain rice (not healthy but vegan). Then she made the comment "I hope your baby is healthy. YOU NEED a glass of milk."

*smacks forehead repeatedly* Now I've been hoovering up all the information I can here on the wonderful world wide web and I'm not a dumb person by any means. I at least made it through college and consider myself fairly rational and able to distinguish crap from not crap. And here my mother is lecturing me on how I could be hurting my unborn child and Jacob and well everyone around me for my "crazy ideas." There is no use to try and cite the research.. her retort was "You know there was a study that said organic produce wasn't any better for you." I asked her who sponsored that study... "I don't know." But pure and simple she believes it. As I believe that I am doing the best health wise for my family. I look at the very sick people around me. My mother has a host of ailments that range from weird "spells" where she loses track of time and HERSELF. My gram is on 25 different prescriptions for a LONG LONG list of ailments that are hard to spell. My father is so overweight that I cross my fingers that he doesn't have a heart attack but according to him "What a way to go!!!"

I have scarfed health books for a number of years now, I have tried to become friends with others on the same health approach and I've been tracking my calories/carbs/protein and vitamins and minerals on this site. I am healthier than I have ever been. I just have to read my dang blogs. LOL Come to think of it, we as a family haven't had a cold in forever and they always coincide with the intake of dairy!!!!

My skin is the biggest indicator. Oh how I suffered as a teenager.. It has lasting effects on my self esteem.. I was so damn ugly. LOL My mom took me to the doctor for acne. They put me on the pill, creams, antibiotics.. I went through HELL, feeling as if the scrubs were burning my face off. And the detrimental effect of ingesting antibiotics for 2 damn years. I was told.. "Its your hormones, not your diet, you'll grow out of it." What a load of BULL SHIT! Perhaps it had something to do with my unnatural fondness of anything Taco Bell, Taco time, Senor Froggy's.

And now to the biggest "proof" that what we are doing is RIGHT. Oliver is a type 1 diabetic. These last 2 weeks he has been HIGH raw and vegetarian. He is still having coffee with this powdered creamer stuff. We are talking about a VERY brittle diabetic who is used to his normal BS being high in the 200 to low 300's. And often reached very much higher and very much lower. He has had to cut his insulin intake BY HALF! Ok folks. HALF is an awful lot. He is much more stable.. no violent ups and downs. I watched this documentary about a year ago and was astonished that there were alternatives to just "dealing with it" and praying for an insulin pump. This was also about the time I discovered raw food. For the prior 2 years to that my mode of "health" thinking was to get rid of evil carbs. LMAO. Yes yes, this now vegan once did the Atkins diet. (with great success I might add.. but uggh makes me shiver) And I wasn't even EVER a big meat fan. I ate fish and chicken. AND CHEESE. GOD I did love me some cheese.

So to wrap this epic post up, I'm agonizing over how to have family understanding and cooperation. This baby WILL be vegan and WILL be high raw. There is no ifs, ands, butts about it. I wish I could have had this upbringing or at least the knowledge when I was younger. I believe that all the documentaries I have viewed should be shown in schools. Our children's eyes NEED to be opened as to where their food Truly comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment